Saturday, February 11, 2006

2/2/2006 - South Newstead, NY

Today I pass through South Newstead, achieving an odd sort of landmark. This is the first time Mapquest has been forced to show my progress on the 3rd largest setting (I had heretofore been tracked one level down). That means that, far from only seeing MA and NY in the view, I can now see pieces of Kentucky and Virginia, not to mention my own native New Jersey (hi mom! hi dad!).

What can I say about the city? Not much, but it does have a bit of a web presence. It was formed in 1823 and currently has slightly more than 8,000 folks living there. The gypsum industry was pretty good to the city, although probably not too good to the miners.

It was a balmy 43 degrees (F) as I passed through the town. It has been a fairly moderate winter -- good for walking, bad for those who choose not to worry about Global Warming.

16,000 temperate steps today. Cheers,