Sunday, February 12, 2006

2/4/2006 - Snow day!

On the day that I posted this (as opposed to the date in the title) we experienced our annual Bostonian Blizzard. For 3 days running up to the storm, there was so much general consternation that I couldn't believe the storm would live up to the hype.

The storm was forecast to come in Saturday afternoon or evening. I went to the Bruin's game (yesterday's post) with some fear as to how we would get home. No worries. As we were leaving (at 9) the sky was still clear. At 2:30 the baby woke up and needed to be carried to the Wife. I peeked out the window. Still no snow.

When I woke up at 7 (the boys let me sleep in for once) the air was thick with tiny flakes but there was little apparant accumulation. Blizzards are funny things. Some areas get coated with snow and some areas are wind-swept. When I finally checked the walk, I realized that we already had 6-8 inches on the ground. I would clear away nearly 2 feet in the 4 times I hit the walk over the course of the day.

But that wasn't the fun part. The fun part was, this being a Sunday, I found an opportunity for a walk. Although I spent about 90 minutes on my walk, I didn't manage one of my 4-5 mile walks, because of the snow. Instead, I went slogging through many an unshoveled 18-inch sidewalk. In addition to my usual winter gear (leggings, sweatshirt, hat - thanks mom!) I added a pair of plastic bags with rubber bands to seal them shut.

I will admit it, these bags made me look like the geek I am. But my wonderful, comfortable, warm boots have the unfortunate quality that they are not quite water proof on the soles. These lovely bags kept me warm and dry on the walk. Had I the time, I could have easily walked another hour, 17 degree weather notwithstanding.

18,400 properly attired steps today. Cheers,