Wednesday, March 01, 2006

2/17/2006 - Simcoe, Ontario

As I reach the one third mark of my march through Ontario, I come to the city of Simcoe. Among other things, a quick survey of Simcoe's web presence reveals this sweet photo album. So I press my face against "The Toy Box," wondering what might appeal to my eldest and think about this city.

Simcoe was named after the lieutenant governor John Graves Simcoe a British Soldier with a passion for developing the province of "Upper Canada." Simcoe's achievements ranged far and wide including

  • Abolishment of slavery in Upper Canada
  • Establishment of common law and trial-by-jury in the province
  • Construction of roads among major cities
  • I think he may also have established a provincial college.

Simcoe has about 16,000 folks in it and seems like a lovely town through which to walk.

13,600 steps today. Cheers,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home