Tuesday, February 28, 2006

2/15/2006 - Atlanta, GA

Okay, I didn't really walk from Niagara falls to Atlanta, GA. I'm really in Atlanta (or was on the 15th). My job sent me there for an actuarial junkett involving presentations, debates and a couple of tours. I was actually in Atlanta from the 14th through the 16th, but the 15th was my one full day and I made the most of it (see the bottom of the post for evidence).

I woke up at 6:30. Since the meeting didn't begin until 8:30, I nipped down to the exercise room and grabbed a treadmill. I used to run for 30-40 minutes at a stretch, but I'm still being protective of my knee, so I walked briskly for an hour, while listening to my podcasts. Between the treadmill and navigating the hotel, I was up to 6,000 steps by the time my meeting began. We met all morning. I managed to do a little walking during breaks and lunch. Maybe I was up to 7,000 by the time we left for our tours in the afternoon.

In the afternoon, we did walking tours of CNN and Coke. I was not so impressed by CNN (this is Reuters, repackaged) but Coke was a lot of fun, featuring a soda jerk and "tastes of the world." I really wanted to bring home some Lychee Pop for the wife. I forewent the bus home from Coke and by the time I returned to the hotel, I was close to 17,000 steps.

For dinner, my comerades all went out to a restaurant. Since I keep kosher and wasn't in the mood to watch others eat, I munched quick PB&J in my room and returned to the exercise room. I decided to walk for 2 hours. Feeling adventurous, I threw in some running. Every 5th minute, I ran at a pace of 6 mph. My knee did fine, although my muscles complained the next day.

By the time I finished my hike, I was delighted to learn that I had already cleared 30,000 steps! I was ready to turn in, but it was pretty early, so I walked slowly around the hotel for a while and called it a night at 32,100 steps, my new high.

I did a good job drinking this time and experienced no dehydration, but my body got its revenge by causing me to sleep until 8:15 the next day, thereby missing 30 minutes of my meeting.

32,100 steps (15 miles, 1,250 calories) today. Cheers,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home