Thursday, April 27, 2006

3/23/2006 - Can't forget the Motor City

I really intended to write 3 posts about the city of Detroit and I've been putting it off for weeks.  I'm finally going to make good on my self-imposed word, starting with a story from Ace Virtual Reporter Zenith.  Zenith, an erstwhile resident of this lovely city sent me the following story from her youth:

    "Every year, somewhere between July 1st (Canadian Independence) and July 4th (US Independence) the cities of Detroit and Windsor hold a major fireworks display called the 'Freedom Festival'.  Both cities contribute a lot of money towards this extravaganza to celebrate liberty, freedom and the pursuit of happiness (and whatever Canada stands for).  One year, when I was 13 (or so) my mother obtained tickets to ride a ferry down the Detroit River to view the fireworks. 

    It had the potential to be majestic. 

    It was majestic floating down the river, watching the sunset and listening to the music.  Then the fireworks started and with the beautiful colors came the loudest noises ever.  I knew that I was scared of the sound of fireworks.  It had never occurred to me that it would be louder on the river (the source of the fireworks was another boat on the river) and that there would be nowhere to hide.  So here I was, stuck on a boat at night, in the middle of the Detroit River, trying hard to maintain my teenage composure.  Freedom had a much different meaning for me when I walked off the boat that night."

Hmm.  This story sounds oddly reminiscent of one of my own memories a VW bug, lemon drops and all the screaming I could produce.

8,100 steps today.  SISS-BOOM-BAH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home