Monday, August 07, 2006

6/21-25/2006 - Michigan City, IN

Forgive me father, for I have blogged. It's been, oooh, about 2 weeks since I was last here.

That will be 4 laps around Cambridge and one stroll through Boston.

Which brings me, of all places, to Michigan City, IN. I have to say, MI, IN has one of the best web sites among the cities I've visited. The scrap book (linked a minute ago) provides a great panorama of how the beach used to appear. And the beach seems to be an important feature of the city. One of the photos calls Michigan City "the playland of the Midwest." And about now, I could use a nice walk along the beach.

Michigan City, along the banks of Lake Michigan, was conceived as a harbor to help bring supplies to the early settlers of Indiana. The land was purchased for about $200/acre (eat your heart out Canterbridgians) and the town was built.

The harbor never took off (competition from Chicago) but the ever-resiliant city turned instead to the newer mode of transportation and became a major producer of railcars.

The earliest settlers came from Massachusetts, and I'm proud that my adopted state could adopt such a city.

101,100 steps over 5 days! Cheers,