Tuesday, June 27, 2006

5/27-31/2006 - St. Joseph, MI

Today I arrive at St. Joseph, MI, the "Riviera of the Midwest." Since I am passing through, I might as well take advantage of the Virtual, Historic tour. The city traces its roots back to the 17th century, when the St. Joseph river was discovered and documented for the first time (by European folk, that is). A fort was built and the city eventually grew into a succesful port town.

In 1880, some investors built an amusement park with slides, roller coasters and a "people mover." For some reason I am surprised to hear of such things in the 19th century.

Although the tour continued on, I ended my tour at the Krasl art museum, with its outdoor sculptures. I am reminded of my own beloved DeCordova museum, not far from Walden pond.

All in all, a delightful town and delightful website.

95,600 enlightened steps today. Cheers,