Wednesday, August 16, 2006

7/21-25/2006 - Sleepy Hollow, IL

As soon as I realized that my route took me through Sleepy Hollow, I downloaded the book (of course) and read it. Although I had never read it before, I'm fairly certain that I'd seen the Disney adaptation.

The first thing I learned is that the book takes place in NY.

The second thing I learned is that Irving clearly anticipated the future existance of goofy animation. The loving detail with which he describes the charicature that is Ichabod Crane almost begs for what Disney added to the image.

Now back to Illinois. My Sleepy Hollow may not be as storied as that Dutch Valley, but it is quaint, and dare I say cute. Founded in 1958, the city boasts fewer residents than my office building. It has a president, rather than a mayor, and a message from the president on the website.

All in all, a pleasant place to rest my weary feet as I walk through.

64,000 sopporific steps over these 5 days. Cheers,