Thursday, August 17, 2006

7/29-8/1/2006 - Marengo, IL

Would you care to do the tango?
Or nibble on a mango?
Let's dance and dine and then go
To beautiful Marengo!

Tonight I pass through Marengo, Illinois.

  • 6,400 citizens
  • 14 churches
  • 140 beautiful acres of Indian Oaks Park!

In this brief history of the city I learn:

"Calvin Spencer first came into Marengo Township in 1835 was not alone long. A. B. Coon, C. Sponable, R. I Simpkins, John Belden, Mr. Dunham and Dr. W. B. Mason followed soon after, the last named being probably the first physician in the county."

W. B. Mason? Do you mean W. B. Mason? As the latter traces it's history back to 1898 in Brockton, MA, I'm guessing no (although I suppose it could have been his grandson!).

While I'm in Marengo, I might as well check out the Illinois Railway Museum. I'm not a huge railway buff, but there was a time when the railway was the biggest employer, as well as the arteries through which the blood of commerce flowed.

At times like this, I dream longingly of a life where can I take stock of the 1,000 mile walk on which I've just engaged and gaze at a mode of transportation so alien, I need not consider it's distaste. Heck, I don't need the walk so long as I get to avoid cars, trains, etc. But no, I'll be back on my commute, bright and early tomorrow.

55,300 steps over these 4 days. Cheers,