Thursday, August 31, 2006

8/15/2006 - Logistics of the Jimmy Fund Walk

I must confess that I can be quite fond of working through the logistics of projects.  As I get ready for my 26.2 mile walk, I am enjoying digging into the most minute of the minutiae: To what podcasts will I listen?  What will I drink?  Shall I buy a new pair of socks?  What kind of mapquest information shall I take with me?

In addition to deciding what to listen to as I walk (at least for the first 13 miles, I will be joined by Mr. Peacock and his sister-in-law at the halfway mark) I have to decide how.  I usually listen to my podcasts on my phone, but if I do that, I will drain the battery, and I want to feel like I could make a quick call from the road if I had to.  Additionally, I know that I can't wear my nice earphones for 3.5 hours.  In fact, my ears get sore wearing them for even 60 minutes.  They have nice sound-canceling qualities, which they achieve by fitting very tightly around my ears.  My plan is to switch back and forth between them and much worse earplugs.  I might have to give up and just walk in silence…

Special shout outs to all of you who have donated so far:

  • Walkin' Boots
  • Dr. Love
  • The Yooks
  • Actu-Pella
  • T-Bone
  • The Gnome and of course
  • Mom and Dad!

12,000 grateful steps today.  Cheers,