10/2-4/2006 - Austin, MN
And why does it merit this lovely url? Because spam, yes, spam, is associated with the town. For example, check out the Museum of Spam. "Just as every Elvis fan longs to visit Graceland, SPAM fans worldwide now have their own pilgrimage to make," as it's website proudly proclaims.
And who wouldn't want to go visit the 5-foot replica of a spam-burger, or see nearly 5,000 cans of spam from all over the world? At the museum, I learned that
- spam (originally spiced ham) was invented in 1937.
- In World War II it was used to feed soldiers, at least in Russia.
- The 1,000,000,000th can was produced in 1959
- In 1968, the word "spam" was said for the 1,000,000,000th time
- In 1970, the word "spam" was said for the 1,000,000,000,000th time
Spam. It isn't just advertisers anymore.
36,000 steps over these 3 days. Cheers,
Cheers, cheers, cheers, cheers, cheers, (cheerity cheers, wonderful cheers)