Tuesday, October 31, 2006

10/5-6/2006 - Like father, like son

With great delight, we are in the process of stepping up the level of books we read to our eldest.  While we used to be firmly in the "picture-book" phase (and he still enjoys a good picture book every now and now and now and now and again) we are increasingly reading him books where the plot is as crucial as the pictures.  With no pictures to look at, the boy has nothing else to do but look over my shoulder at the words.
 
Last night I was reading to him from "Mr. Popper's Penguins" when he stopped the narrative.
 
"Daddy?  Why are those numbers there?"
 
"It's an address, buddy.  You know, like our address."
 
People always asked me when I knew that I wanted to be an actuary.  In truth, the answer is sometime after I got my first job.  But I was probably destined to be one.  When I was a kid, I used to sit on my mother's lap while she read stories.
 
"What's that?!"
 
"The number 5, JG.  We're on page 5."

27,700 numerical steps today.  Cheers,